The popularity of a vacation rental is on the upswing. According to a TripAdvisor survey, 64% of US travelers plan to stay in a vacation rental in 2018. The draw seems rather obvious. Travelers have a greater opportunity to immerse themselves in local culture, keep your family and friends together in a more intimate surrounding as opposed to multiple hotel rooms, and depending on location some peace and tranquility.
TripAdvisor released their second annual Travelers’ Choice awards for vacation rentals and villas. The awards recognize 30 of the best holiday homes across the globe divided into three categories—luxury ($300+ USD per night), mid-range ($100 – $150 USD per night), and affordable ($99 USD per night and under.
The luxury category features a Costa Rican beach villa and another on beautiful Lake Como in Italy. Amenities include: spas and saunas, game rooms, fireplaces, lush gardens, vistas to die for, BBQ grills, swimming pools, outdoor jacuzzis and every type of creature comfort you can image.
Each destination in the luxury category features bi-lingual speakers, but it might also be a good time to brush up your Spanish, Italian or French.
Travelers’ Choice awards are based on traveler ratings and reviews, as well as owner behaviors during the booking process, like response times and booking acceptance rates.
Without further ado, here is a list of the luxury category winners with links to learn more about each property. Images for each are in the slide show above.
- Award Luxury Beach Villa – Pinilla, Costa Rica
- St Michael’s – Kent, England
- Villa la Ruga – Lake Como, Italy
- The Kids Will Totally Adore Their Rooms – Orlando, FL
- Casa Cielo Volcano View Retreat – Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
- Palazzo Di P – Zakynthos, Greece
- Trenanthia Cottage – Gravenhurst, Canada
- Little Upton Threshing Barn – Somerset, England
- Villa Casa7 – Marbella – Costa del Sol, Spain
- Snowdon House in Snowdonia – Snowdonia National park, Wales